I created a little card board version, mostly to illustrate the connection. The issue with this was that the cardboard had to be too close together. I started to model this (see below) so that there was more toothpick like legs than large wedges.
Suing the inspiration I found, and the insight from my cardboard model, I built these. all pieces are at 45º to the print bed, so they would be able to print without support structure. I have also tested the wether the printer would be able to print as thin as I wanted these designed. On another test print, the thinness worked. I am planning on printing these tomorrow morning, but they should go well.